I was in search of something fun to make as a side dish for Easter dinner. While I generally like asparagus on its own, I thought the humble spears needed a little bit extra. Here, flaky puff pastry enrobes tender asparagus spears and savory cream cheese for an easy, impressive side dish. We experimented with different shapes to see what worked the best; the good news is that they all worked nicely, so you really can’t go wrong.
Prep Time 30 M
Cook Time 10 M
Recipe Yield 12 Servings
- Place the asparagus spears and the water in a microwave-safe dish. Cover loosely with plastic wrap. Microwave on high power for 5 minutes. Drain, pat dry, and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the cream cheese, salt, pepper, and garlic powder until smooth.
- Sprinkle some of the flour onto a cutting board or clean countertop. Unfold the puff pastry dough on the floured surface. Cut each sheet in half, making 4 rectangles. On each rectangle, spread the cream cheese mixture, leaving a 1/2″ border around the edges. Arrange asparagus spears evenly in a single layer over the cream cheese.
- Brush the edges of the puff pastry with the egg white. Fold the dough over the filling and press the edges together firmly to seal. Cut into smaller pieces, or leave them intact. Brush the tops with more egg white. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425F. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Place the puffs on the baking sheet and bake for 8 – 12 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.