Helpful Amazon Suggestions:
Help support this site with a simple Amazon purhcase. How does this work?
Make Chicago style Italian beefs like a master with these highly rated products!
- Prep must start the day before you plan to serve the sandwiches. Preheat oven to 375F.
- Stir together the minced garlic, salt, pepper, dried oregano, and red pepper flakes in a small bowl.
- Rub the garlic mixture all over the rump roast.
- Place roast into a large Dutch oven or roasting pan.
- Add the fresh oregano and thyme to the pot.
- Add the water, taking care not to pour the water over the roast.
- Place into the oven and roast until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 150F, about 60-90 minutes depending on the size of the roast.
- When done, remove roast from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Remove the roast from the pan and wrap in plastic wrap or foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Strain the roasting juices (au jus) into a separate container and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, pour the au jus into a large pot and bring to a simmer for 30 minutes.
- Slice the cold meat as thinly as possible; this works best with an electric meat slicer, but a sharp knife and a steady hand will be fine.
- Place the sliced meat into the au jus and simmer for 20 minutes.
- To serve, place the meat into the sandwich rolls and drizzle with some au jus, or use tongs to dip the whole sandwich in the pot of jus. Garnish with giardiniera and serve with a small ramekin of au jus for dipping.