Helpful Amazon Suggestions:
Help support this site with a simple Amazon purhcase. How does this work?
Be a cupcake making master with these highly rated products!
Recipe Set #1
INGREDIENTS for Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven according to package directions. Place cupcake liners into a cupcake pan; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the cake mix, eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla until smooth, about 3 minutes. Remove 1/3 of the batter and place into a smaller bowl; remove another 1/3 of batter and place into another smaller bowl. Add red food coloring to one of the smaller bowls and stir until well mixed and until it becomes the shade of red you want. Add blue food coloring to the other smaller bowl and stir, adding more color until you achieve the shade you want.
- Fill the cupcake liners 1/4 full with the blue batter. Fill them another 1/4 full with the white batter, and then one more 1/4 full with the red batter. The liners should be approximately 3/4 full. Bake according to package directions. Remove from oven, let cool for 5 minutes, then remove from the pan and allow to cool on a rack.
Recipe Set #2
INGREDIENTS for Buttercream Frosting:
- With a mixer at medium speed, beat butter for 3 – 5 minutes until it becomes pale and fluffy. Gradually add the powdered sugar and mix until completely combined. Add vanilla and 2 tbsp of milk, then beat until smooth. The frosting should hold its shape when the beaters are pulled out; this will be good for piping. If you’d prefer to spread the frosting with a spatula, add more of the milk to thin it out.
- To pipe on the frosting: scoop the frosting into a piping bag fitted with a large star or drop flower tip. (I used a Wilton 2D drop flower tip.) Starting at the edge of the cupcake, pipe the frosting, moving around in concentric circles inward to the center of the cupcake. To use a spatula: smooth the frosting on top of the cupcakes evenly.