Short Rib Goulash
When the weather is cold, is there anything better than the beefy flavor of short ribs nestled in a savory sauce?
Prep Time 15 M
Cook Time 3 H
Recipe Yield 4 Servings
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Season short ribs with salt and pepper.
- In a dish, sprinkle the corn starch on the short ribs, making sure all sides are coated.
- In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, heat the bacon fat and sear the short ribs until brown and crisp on the surface, about 2-3 minutes per side, turning as needed and making sure all sides are seared.
- Remove the short ribs to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onions and bay leaves to the pot and saute until the onions begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Season the onions with salt and pepper.
- Add in the shallots and tomato paste, and saute for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the paprika and caraway seeds, and stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the crushed tomatoes and bring the sauce up to a boil.
- Add the short ribs back into the pot, making sure to coat all sides with sauce, and turn so the meaty side is submerged in the sauce.
- Cover the pot and put in the oven for 2-2.5 hours, turning the short ribs once about halfway through the cooking time.
- When done, remove the short ribs and set aside.
- Stir in the balsamic vinegar, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the short ribs and sauce over spaetzle or egg noodles.