Slow cooker heaven awaits with these fantastically high rated products!
As an Amazon Associate, the author of this recipe earns from qualifying purchases. Would you like to know more?
- Gather your ingredients.
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt 2 tbsp of the bacon fat.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, and celery, and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté for one more minute. Remove the veggies from the skillet and set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the 1/2 cup bacon fat.
- Add the flour and stir constantly (don’t stop!) until it becomes the color of peanut butter, about 5 – 8 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and whisk briskly, bringing the sauce to a boil. Remove from the heat.
- Place the sausage, chicken, and veggies into a slow cooker, then pour in the sauce.
- Season with salt, pepper, Cajun seasoning, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, and Tabasco.
- Add the bay leaves.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook for 4 – 6 hours on high or 8 – 10 hours on low.
- Serve on top of rice.
The other day, we got some andouille sausage, and figured we could give gumbo a shot. After doing some research, we learned some things about classic gumbo technique, then adapted them into a slow cooker version. We added some seasoned chicken and some Antic Family Smokehouse smoked sausage, and made a roux with bacon fat, for good measure. Enjoy!