Thanksgiving Eggnog Cupcakes
Every year, our friends Jen and Eric host the most epic white elephant holiday party. We’ve had the (mis)fortune of receiving several of the rotating “legacy” gifts over the years, most recently a large relief carving of a ram’s head. Anyway, this year they requested that we bring a dessert, and we were only too happy to oblige. These cupcakes have the warm flavor of eggnog throughout the cake and the frosting, and a rum-flavored filling just ups the festivity quotient.
Prep Time 30 M
Cook Time 20 M
Recipe Yield 12 Tasty Eggnog Cupcakes
Sub Recipe #1
INGREDIENTS for Cupcakes:
Sub Recipe #2
INGREDIENTS for Filling:
Sub Recipe #3
INGREDIENTS for Frosting:
DIRECTIONS for Frosting:
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place cupcake liners in muffin pans. Set aside.
- For the cupcakes: Beat sugar and butter with a mixer together until well combined, about 3 minutes. Add eggs and beat until well blended.
- In a bowl, mix together the eggnog, vanilla, and rum extract. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg. Add the dry and wet ingredients into the butter and sugar mixture, alternating dry and wet, and ending with the dry ingredients. With a small ice cream scoop or a spoon, add the batter into the cupcake liners, filling about 3/4 full. Bake for 10 – 12 minutes for mini cupcakes, or 20 minutes for regular cupcakes. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Next, prepare the filling: stir the rum extract and vanilla into pudding. Fill a pastry bag fitted with a medium tip with the pudding mixture. Insert the tip of the pastry bag into the top of a cupcake and squirt, using about 1/2 tsp per mini cupcake or 1 tsp per regular cupcake.
- Finally, make the frosting: beat the cream cheese, butter, and shortening together until well blended. Add the powdered sugar and mix well. Add the eggnog, rum extract, vanilla, and nutmeg.
- Frost the cupcakes using a pastry bag and decorating tip, or spread on with a spatula.
- Sprinkle the tops with more nutmeg, if desired.