Fresh homemade guacamole will always be far superior to anything you can buy from the store! Do yourself a favor next time you want some, and make it yourself. It only takes 5-10 minutes to prepare, and is super delicious!
Prep Time 10 M
Cook Time 0 M
Recipe Yield 8 servings of fresh guac
- I use a high powered Blentec blender. You could probably use a food processor, or simply mash it all up by hand. This recipe really just involves a lot of chopping and mixing things.
- As you work, you're going to set aside half of all the ingredients (except the garlic and the spices) into a mixing bowl. The other half will be mixed up or blended finely so it becomes very creamy. In the end, both the very creamy mixture and the chunky ingredients from the mixing bowl are added together and mixed by hand. This creates for a lovely blend of textures and flavors.
- Chop the cilantro, place half in the mixing bowl and the other have in the mixer. I personally like to add some of the stalks as well. The stalks taste sort of similar to celery, like a cilantro/celery mix. If anything, it adds a nice lightness to the flavor profile.
- Chop the onion, place half in the mixing bowl and the other have in the mixer. In the video, I have a container of pre-chopped onion which includes a mix of red, yellow, and green onions. I eat a lot of onions, so chopping it up once or twice a week saves time.
- Crush, then peel the garlic. Chop off any unwanted bits, and toss the crushed cloves into the mixer. If you're mixing everything by hand, you should mince the garlic first.
- Squeeze the juice of 1/2 lime into the mixer. In the video, I go ahead and just cut the peel off it and drop bits of lime into the mixer. This is just a bit of added fiber and shouldn't really change the flavor as opposed to just juicing it. Just don't get any of the white pith in there, which could turn the dish bitter!
- Into the mixer, add 1/2 tsp. each of Salt, Pepper, Turmeric. Then add a few dashes of Cayenne pepper.
- Blend or mix the ingredients up until smooth and creamy. Then add this to the chopped ingredients in the bowl. Mix by hand until desired consistency is reached.
- Be sure to give it an extra taste and season as needed.
- Enjoy this healthy dish!
I prefer to go heavy on the garlic, so modify the garlic level to your own preference.
Be sure to go easy on the salt. You can always add more later!
Be careful not to drop any of the white pith of the lime into the mixer, or the dish could become slightly bitter.
Read about how awesome turmeric is, and why this is so healthy for you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turmeric –
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andrew-weil-md/turmeric-health-have-a-happy-new-year_b_798328.html – http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=78